Hurricanes awake from offensive slumber

The baseball team notched its third win in four games after beating Louisville 13-4 on Wednesday.

The Hurricanes won behind a complete team effort. Eight of nine Miami hitters either scored or drove in a run.

“We came out with a good scouting report,” said first baseman Yonder Alonso. “We knew [Louisville starter B.J. Rosenberg] would start off with off speed pitches and come back with fastballs.”

Miami’s offense was highlighted by a Jon Jay two-run home run and a three-run Alonso bomb. Walter Diaz also contributed with a three-run double in the fourth inning which put the Hurricanes on top 10-2.

“We were very concerned about Louisville,” said UM Head Coach Jim Morris. “We have not even talked about playing Florida yet. We have to control our house.”

Jay’s home run was his second of the year after only hitting one in 2005.

“I spent the off-season in the weight room getting stronger for this year,” Jay said.

Ricky Orta started for the first time this season and gave up two runs in five innings. In those five frames, Orta allowed only three runners to reach base.

“It is good to have him back in the rotation and he should be in the rotation,” Morris said.

Morris said he is also happy to have Scott Maine back in the rotation. Maine will take Danny Gil’s spot and pitch on Sunday against the Gators.

Miami went up 2-0 in the first inning on a Tommy Giles single. The third inning, however, proved to be the turning point in the game. Jay hit the aformentioned home run to start the inning. After Danny Valencia walked, Alonso ripped a single on a 1-2 count to keep the rally going. Tommy Giles laid down a sacrifice bunt and Diaz, Dennis Raben, and Richard O’Brien followed run-scoring base hits to give the Hurricanes a 7-0 lead they never relinquished.

“We had big hits early,” Morris said. “I am very happy with the way we played.”

Miami won the game without a couple starters being at full strength. Eddie Rodriguez was given the day off and more importantly, Blake Tekotte was back on the field after staying at the hospital Tuesday night hooked up to an IV because of flu-like symptoms.

“It was tough on Monday after coming back from California,” Jay said. “[Coach] Morris stressed staying focused.”

Alonso said the team is beginning to feel more confident as it continues to get ready for this weekend series against Florida.

“The team is hot right now,” Alonso said. “The more we do together the better we get. We have to be ready for Florida.”

Morris said he will use the off day to let his players mend from injuries and fatigue.

“We got some guys banged up,” Morris said. “But we will be 100% this weekend.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...