Frivolous lawsuits: When will someone draw the line?

Frivolous lawsuits are taking over our nation. Whether it be patients suing doctors for malpractice because the pillows in their hospital beds were not fluffed, a cute little grandma waving her finger at McDonald’s for burning her with their coffee, or bitter cheerleaders suing their coach for cutting them from their squad (all of these are real by the way), our judicial system is constantly being bombarded with these and similar cases.

Surely I am not trying to say anything bad about the attorneys in our great nation, because we do have some spectacular ones-I would even like to be one myself-but why is it that so many of them are willing to take on these cases and waste the time of our courts? Where do we draw the line between trying to make a point and stand by our convictions and just being completely and utterly immature and selfish?

Yes, getting cut from your Cheer Squad was, I’m sure, a heart-wrenching and difficult experience, but did you ever stop to think that perhaps your coach cut you because there were girls who were better than you? Is being bitter a good enough reason to file a lawsuit?

Clearly, some cases are different. There are times when doctors truly are severely at fault for making a childish yet costly mistake. Women across the country are discriminated against in the workplace, and a slew of other violations of our civil rights take place daily. These are times when people should step up and search for compensation where it is rightly due.

However, in the same way that going to war and putting our troops in harm’s way should be a last resort, filing a lawsuit and using up taxpayers’ hard-earned money should be reserved for those cases that actually have substance. Look how well a violation of the aforementioned has turned out for our nation-continuing in this direction is only going to be another downfall our country has to endure.

Adela Ghadimi is a sophomore majoring in political science and international studies. She can be contacted at a.ghadimi@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...