Elsewhere – Prepaid tuition plans no longer decrease aid

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif.-Until recently, students with prepaid tuition plans have had their eligibility for need-based aid reduced dollar by dollar. Both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have recently approved a measure, to take effect on July 1, that eliminates this penalty. A prepaid tuition plan allows families to prepay all or part of a student’s tuition today for future use at a specific college or group of member colleges. When the student enrolls at that college or one of the member colleges, the prepaid tuition is redeemed with the percent of tuition previously purchased despite any price increases.

Stanford has been a participant in the Independent 529 Plan, named after the Internal Revenue Code section that authorizes such programs, since 2003. According to the Office of Financial Aid, the number of families taking advantage of this Independent 529 Plan at Stanford is small because the program has been in existence for a relatively short time.

The new regulations concerning prepaid tuition plans are designed to better allow families that use them to obtain need-based financial aid.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...