Women’s tennis drops heartbreaker to Gators

The UM women’s tennis team fell to rivals University of Florida in an upsetting 4-3 loss.

The Hurricanes battled the Gators in cold, windy conditions, atypical of the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

“They were a little bit better than us today in some positions and we had a tough first set at the No. 6 position; the second set went pretty fast,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Overall, they were four points better than we were.”

After sweeping the doubles matches in three solid wins 8-4, 8-3 and 8-6 to take the point, the ‘Canes were on the verge of defeating the No. 2 team in the country.

Sophomore Audra Cohen took down the No. 1 player in the country, Diana Srebrovic, in straight sets. Cohen dominated 6-1, 6-0, quickly ending the match.

“It’s rough conditions today, but to be able to come out and play top-notch and get the momentum going for UM is good,” Cohen said.

Midway through the second set, Srebrovic began to vocalize her frustration.

“Oh my God-this is the worst tennis I’ve played in my life,” Srebrovic said.

Srebrovic might have been surprised by Cohen, an unranked transfer from Northwestern, but Yaroshuk-Tews wasn’t shocked by her stellar performance.

“I don’t think there is a doubt in many people’s minds that Audra is one of the best players in the country,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m really not surprised by her win, though. That’s the type of player Audrey is.”

Senior Melissa Appelbaum was defeated at the No. 2 position in straight sets 6-1, 6-3.

Sophomore Patricia Starzyk fell to Boglarka Berecz, ranked No. 16 in the ITA singles. The third singles match was complete in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.

At the No. 4 singles position, newcomer Monica Dancevic lost to No. 52 Whitney Benik 6-1, 6-3.

With the score 3-2 in favor of UF, the match hinged on the outcome of the fifth and sixth singles contests.

Caren Seenauth lost the tiebreaker in the first set 7-5. Up against another ranked player, Lolita Frangulyan (No. 91), Seenauth was unable to take the second set, losing 6-3.

Junior Audrey Banada, ranked 40th, was down 5-1 in the first set of her fifth singles match. She managed to come back and win the set 7-6 in a tiebreaker. Banada didn’t let up in the second set and downed Nina Suvack 7-6, 6-3.

Despite Banada’s efforts, the ‘Canes still lost the match to the Gators, the third one-point loss of the season for the Hurricanes (3-3).

“We’re getting pretty used to bouncing back from 4-3 losses,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We’re going to take a couple days off and then get ready for Central Florida. Then we have a big trip out to Austin.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...