Panel discusses Knight Ridder newspapers

Three media practitioners spoke to students and faculty about the possible scenarios and implications of the sale of Knight Ridder newspapers, including the Miami Herald, as part of a panel hosted by the South Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) and the School of Communication in the school’s courtyard on Feb. 10.

“Journalists, by and large, have never been happy with [business control],” said Bob Ingle, former head of Knight Ridder new media and former executive editor of the company’s San Jose Mercury News.

Ingle said this in the context of discussing the possible scenarios for selling the newspapers.

“The financial realities of running a newspaper have slapped us on the face,” he said.

Ingle’s first scenario is that Knight Ridder sells off either the whole company or parts of the company.

“The cost basis is quite low and the tax burden would be enormous,” he said.

The next scenario postulated would be a merger, perhaps with The McClatchy Company, according to Ingle, though he said the problem with that is that McClatchy’s size is half that of Knight Ridder.

A leveraged buyout would be another option, Ingle said. If this were to occur, an equity firm would purchase Knight Ridder, buy back all the public holdings, make the company private and then make it public again in a few years.

Borrowing the money to buy the company is another possibility, though Ingle doubts that will occur.

“The service on the debt is a killer,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a possibility.”

John Hopkins, vice president of the South Florida Professional Chapter of SPJ and a former copy editor at the Miami Herald, moderated the event. He said that a buyout by a newspaper guild or family ownership is a plausible option.

He cited the family ownership of the Kansas City Star for more than 50 years as a successful example.

The panel agreed that family ownership would be a good option, but that problems would still arise.

“Family ownership is a wonderful form of ownership,” Picard said.

He added that, on the other hand, it rarely lasts longer than three generations.

Regarding ownership by the employees, the panel also agreed that it works well for a while, but multiple problems may ensue.

Picard said that journalists have too much self-interest in this scenario, and they often sell out their shares when they retire. Journalists’ lack of the business skills necessary to run a media company is also an issue.

There is little doubt that the face of news media is a changing one, as evidenced by the Knight Ridder situation. But, said Ingle, “I believe newspapers are going to be around for quite a while.”

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...