It’s not too late: Valentine ideas, even on Valentine’s Day

It’s Valentine’s Day and you need a gift for a loved one, a spot for dinner with someone special or a group of friends. Check out these last-minute ideas if you decide that you still want to celebrate this day of love. Be a cop-out and stock up on candy hearts at CVS, sign your name on the back and give them out as gifts. Anything is better than nothing.

Go with the stereotype and get a teddy bear, chocolates and flowers. Red roses for loved ones, yellow roses for friendship, and coral-colored roses for desire. A yellow Acacia means a secret love.

Some florists around Coral Gables (please don’t resort to Publix or CVS!):

Coral Gables Florist

1825 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Coral Gables 305-443-3211

Miriam’s Flowers and Baskets

305 Alcazar Ave.

Coral Gables 305- 461-5556

A Blooming Miracle

2520 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Coral Gables 305-448-3385

If flowers won’t do, try getting a book related to an incident or an inside joke. Barnes and Noble is the obvious choice but Books and Books on Alhambra in the heart of the Gables is great for some different choices.

For gifts that go beyond the usual try boutiques such as LX Studio (men’s and women’s) on Sunset Drive or Base on Lincoln Road in South Beach. Really want to show your love? Get a T-shirt from Target and scribble a message in your best hand to say whatever you want about love. Even if the only word that comes to mind is “sucks.”

For restaurants try Anacapri on Miracle Mile, Cacao on Giralda Avenue or Bites on Sunset Drive. Small restaurants that are sometimes overlooked, spots like these are the best chance for same-day reservations.

If going out just isn’t working, eat in. Plenty of restaurants will order out. If all else fails, stop by Gardner’s Market and pick up some of the pre-made foods available. Try the Asian chicken salad or the pre-made Italian blend pasta. Ask one of the people who work there about the wine, as they have plenty of options.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...