Elsewhere – Research shows excessive drinking may lead to cancer

(U-WIRE) RALEIGH, N.C.-Last week, the results of research done by the International Agency for Research on Cancer were released to the public, stating that too much drinking raises the risk of certain types of cancer, including mouth, larynx, esophagus, liver, colon and breast. This is just another example of how things done in excess can lead to harmful side effects.

The study done by the IARC showed that while many believe total abstinence from drinking would solve this problem, that is not the case. Other research done over the years has proven that when done in moderation, drinking can help combat and even prevent cardiovascular diseases.

According to the World Health Organization, in 2000, alcohol was the cause of death of 185,000 men and 142,000 women in developed countries. Yet in the same year, alcohol prevented the deaths of 71,000 men and 277,000 women.

“Everything causes cancer in excess,” Matthew Veety, a senior in electrical and computer engineering, said. “People just need to learn to drink responsibly. Moderation is the important key.”

Even the American Heart Association does not have a concrete answer other than that drinking excessively will cause negative health effects. Yet at the same time they admit drinking does have some positive side effects.

Both the AHA and the IARC recommend watching how much you drink. While the substances in alcohol may have scientific benefits, the same benefits can be obtained through regular exercise, according to the AHA.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...