Dear V – Binge drinking has both physical and psychological repercussions

I think that I might be an alcoholic. I have been drinking straight for the past two weeks. Whenever I wake up the next day, I don’t feel like myself until I’ve had my first drink of the day. Also, I get really excited before I take my first sip. I usually don’t black out, but then the next day my friends will tell me that I did something that I completely can’t remember doing! It has gotten so bad that I don’t think that having a few beers with my lunch is that big of a deal. Is it a big deal? Should I really be concerned about my behavior? I feel like I’m no different than most people in college.

Happy Hour

Dear Reader,

I think that you might have reason to be concerned with your behavior. How do you have the stamina to attend class or do anything of a productive nature if you’re either always drunk or hung over? Beyond that, think about what you are doing to your poor body! I don’t think that you need me to tell you about the empty calories, the effect alcohol has on your sleeping patterns, your skin and your poor liver.

Though it has become quite popular to refer to oneself as an alcoholic, one could be doing harm to oneself without technically being an alcoholic. For example, any man who consumes more than 14 drinks per week and any woman who consumes more than seven drinks a week would be considered a heavy drinker; not surprising is the fact that approximately 1.9 million people between the ages of 12 and 20 fit the criteria for heavy drinking, and approximately 4.4 million people between the ages of 12 and 20 fit the criteria for binge drinking. A heavy drinker, however, does not have a physical or psychological dependence on alcohol. An alcoholic will actually crave alcohol, not be able to control his or her behavior and also have a higher tolerance for alcohol. Of course, the cornerstone symptom of alcoholism is an actual physical dependence, which will manifest itself in the form of withdrawal symptoms like sweating, nausea, and shakiness when not drinking.

Is there a reason why you feel the need to drink so much? Understandably, heavy drinking is an alluring activity because it allows one to let loose, forget about the stresses of the day, and have a little fun. However, I am not quite convinced that what you are doing to yourself is merely letting loose. Two straight weeks of drinking is an awful lot of alcohol consumption-too much, depending on how much you’ve been consuming each day. Furthermore, the fact that you’re blacking out is also not a good sign. If you can’t remember what you did the night before, chances are high that you did something you don’t want to remember. And, as for your day drinking, suffice it to say that cocktail hour usually doesn’t commence prior to 11 a.m., so if you’re popping back the brewskies before brunch, it might be time to stop, reassess why you’re engaging in such behavior, and possibly consider professional help.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact o’ the Day. In 2000 B.C. the Egyptians used elephant dung as a form of contraception.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

V is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...