Spots to munch, lunch, wine and dine around MIA

After a few weeks of eating the usual dining hall food, frozen dinners or take-out, it’s time to take a look at some of the new dining spots around Miami. From ethnic to classic, cheap to just a bit pricey, restaurants all around Miami are grabbing some well-deserved attention as a result of delectable food or an inviting atmosphere.

ETHNIC FOODS

ANOKHA 3195 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove

This “fine dining” Indian restaurant has an extensive menu that features numerous Tandoori recipes, a variety of vegetarian dishes and some very spicy sauces. Although a bit pricey, the food is well worth it. Meals come in sparkling silver bowls and serve up a healthy portion that is worth the extra dollars. Salt and pepper is left off the table, but it isn’t needed. As an added bonus, dine inside or out, and for those feeling a bit cultural, there’s even a spot on the floor.

AKASHI 5820 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami

Driving south on U.S. 1, Akashi looks like a hole in the wall that would probably violate more than just one health code. However, it serves up the best sushi in the area. A small dining space, the restaurant has 10 tables on a good day and a few seats at the bar, where diners can watch an assortment of tropical fish glide through the wall-to-wall saltwater tank. For sushi, try the Alex Roll or its sister, the Alex 2 Roll; or try any of the teriyaki dishes.

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH

CAFE PASTIS 7310 SW 57th Avenue, South Miami

For someplace new that can satisfy an appetite for breakfast, lunch or even dessert, check out Cafe Pastis on Red Road. This often overlooked caf

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...