Miller School of Medicine names new dean

The University announced on Friday that Pascal J. Goldschmidt, M.D., will be the new senior vice president for medical affairs and the new dean of the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine beginning on April 3.

Goldschmidt served as head of the Duke University Department of Medicine since 2003 and, according to Duke’s website, was previously the chief of the division of cardiology and director of the Center for Cardiovascular Genetics.

“I think Goldschmidt is a perfect match for the University of Miami,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a press release. “He’s a first-rate leader and a wonderful researcher-clinician who will raise the Miller School to a spectacular new level of international medical and scientific leadership.”

Goldschmidt’s appointment comes after John Clarkson, senior vice president for medical affairs and medical school dean for the past decade, accepted an offer from the American Board of Ophthalmology to be its executive director.

Goldschmidt said he is delighted to come to the University.

“The Miller School of Medicine has an international reputation for excellence, and I plan to work with my teams to bring the clinical mission, the research mission and the educational mission to new heights,” he said in the release.

Goldschmidt has conducted research dealing with genomics and cell therapy in addition to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease.

“This is a great day for the University,” said Norman Braman, chairman of the Medical Affairs Committee of the University of Miami Board of Trustees, in the release. “To be able to get an individual of Goldschmidt’s caliber says a lot for the University’s commitment to make our medical school one of the great schools in the United States. It shows great confidence in everything President Shalala and Dean Clarkson have been working toward all these years.”

In addition to his experience at Duke and as director of cardiology at Ohio State University (OSU), where he founded the Heart and Lung Research Institute and a heart hospital, Goldschmidt comes into the position ready to oversee the growth of the School of Medicine.

“I look forward to cultivating our unique relationship with Jackson Memorial Hospital and its leadership to expand our ability to deliver outstanding care to the great people of Miami-Dade, and to training the doctors who will lead the medical field for years to come,” he said in the release.

Additional facilities for the School include the near-finished Clinical Research Institute as well as a planned University hospital and a Biomedical Research Institute.

Goldschmidt was born and raised in Belgium, receiving his medical degree from the Universit

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...