UMNEWS Chernobyl group visits medical campus

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine hosted a delegation of physicians and administrators from Ukraine, along with Congressmen Lincoln and Mario Diaz-Balart, as part of a growing collaboration between American healthcare professionals and Ukrainians who are struggling to care for victims of the Chernobyl nuclear accident 20 years after the tragedy.

Children born in the region still suffer from unusually high rates of thyroid cancer, lymphoma, leukemia, cardiac ailments and other illnesses.

The UM visit and Wednesday news conference grew out of a trip to Ukraine late last year that included Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, Dr. Steven E. Lipshultz, professor and chairman of the department of pediatrics at the Miller School, and others.

The two-fold purpose of this visit was to allow the Ukrainians to participate in the annual Masters of Pediatrics conference, which began the day of the visit and to foster medical collaboration between American physicians and their colleagues in Ukraine.

Two of the Ukrainian physicians spoke about their experiences and thanked their hosts. Dr. Igor Mokryk, a congenital heart disease specialist, talked about the urgent need for more resources.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...