UC patio tables vandalized

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 27, public safety officers found that cushions and an umbrella in the UC Patio had been vandalized, according to a department police report.

The officers, who were on a regular foot patrol, found that five of the seat backs on the glider tables had been carved into with a sharp bladed object.

According to the report, the words “fuck,” “cock,” “cunt” and “slut” were carved into four of the smaller cushion seats, and “nigger” was carved out on one of the large seat cushions.

Other damaged property in the area included an umbrella and three vinyl banners and a cardboard sign that advertised campus events.

The estimated damage, according to the report, totals around $1,100. This amount includes $600 for the four small cushions, $200 for the large cushion, and $300 for the umbrella.

No suspects have been identified in the crime, but the investigation is still open.

Police think that the vandalism occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

United Black Students (UBS) had held an event on the Patio earlier that evening. Because one of the vandalized words was derogatory towards African Amiercans, the incident is being treated as a potential hate crime.

“We are neither shocked nor outraged, but rather bewildered by the ignorance of the coward culprit or culprits,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, president of UBS. “UBS plays an enormous role in the diversity of this campus. We urge everyone to attend Black Awareness Month programs this February and unlearn stereotypes and prejudices.”

According to the report, no witnesses have come forth and there were no surveillance recordings that captured the crime.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...