UC patio tables vandalized

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 27, public safety officers found that cushions and an umbrella in the UC Patio had been vandalized, according to a department police report.

The officers, who were on a regular foot patrol, found that five of the seat backs on the glider tables had been carved into with a sharp bladed object.

According to the report, the words “fuck,” “cock,” “cunt” and “slut” were carved into four of the smaller cushion seats, and “nigger” was carved out on one of the large seat cushions.

Other damaged property in the area included an umbrella and three vinyl banners and a cardboard sign that advertised campus events.

The estimated damage, according to the report, totals around $1,100. This amount includes $600 for the four small cushions, $200 for the large cushion, and $300 for the umbrella.

No suspects have been identified in the crime, but the investigation is still open.

Police think that the vandalism occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

United Black Students (UBS) had held an event on the Patio earlier that evening. Because one of the vandalized words was derogatory towards African Amiercans, the incident is being treated as a potential hate crime.

“We are neither shocked nor outraged, but rather bewildered by the ignorance of the coward culprit or culprits,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, president of UBS. “UBS plays an enormous role in the diversity of this campus. We urge everyone to attend Black Awareness Month programs this February and unlearn stereotypes and prejudices.”

According to the report, no witnesses have come forth and there were no surveillance recordings that captured the crime.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...