Men’s tennis roles over Seminoles

Last Monday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, the men’s tennis team opened ACC play, taking on the No. 11 Florida State Seminoles. The result for the previously No. 39 ‘Canes could not have been any better, as they swept the ‘Noles 7-0.

Luigi D’Agord, Danny Vallverdu, Josh Cohen, Tim Krebs, Eric Hechtman and John Hoyes all notched wins for the Hurricanes.

In singles competition, No. 25 D’Agord, a junior from Freeport, Bahamas, took on No. 49 Sam Chang on the No. 1 court. D’Agord cruised past Chang 6-3, 6-2.

Freshman Vallverdu took care of business, winning 6-3, 6-2 against No. 72 Ytai Abougzir, while on the No. 3 court, No. 87 Cohen had no problem with No. 68 Maciek Sykut, emerging victorious 6-2, 6-2.

Senior Krebs was the only Hurricane to actually lose a set. He played Chris Westerhof, taking the first set 6-3 but dropping the second 6-1. In the third and final set, however, it was all Krebs, who closed the match with a 6-3 victory.

On the No. 5 court senior Hechtman defeated Chris Cloer 6-3, 6-3 and on No. 6 Hoyes won his battle, toppling Jason Hood 7-5, 6-2.

The Hurricanes didn’t stop there, as the Seminoles had twice the trouble in the doubles matches. D’Agord and Vallverdu defeated Abougzier and Westerhof in the No. 1 court 8-6, while Vivek Subramarian and Krebs shut down Baily and Sykut at No. 2 8-2. To top it off, on the No. 3 court Hechtman and Cohen romped past Chang and Cloer 8-1.

Hopefully for UM fans, the win can propel the Hurricanes to a third straight victory against the No. 2 Florida Gators today at 1 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Richard Lavi

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...