City littering adds up to disaster

Welcome back to the city of Miami, home to palm trees, sunshine and.garbage? As we return home to Coral Gables, one can’t help but notice a sharp contrast to its utopist reputation; litter is in abundance and impossible to escape. Cutting across the intramural field this morning on my way back from class, I spotted an empty pack of cigarettes smack in the middle of the freshly trimmed grass. Never mind the obvious health risks associated with cigarettes (those tiny murderous cancer sticks). Litter like this poses an even greater threat-one that effects more than just one person, but future generations as well.

Litter isn’t just a problem on campus. Having lived in Miami my whole life, I have watched South Beach transform from tropical paradise to corporate garbage dump. The morning sunshine greets a fresh layer of beer cans and plastic cups, wrist bands and cigarette butts, hastily discarded the day before by tipsy clubbers and toasted sunbathers.

The realization of the deterioration of purity in my home city first hit me when I was 8 and returned home from an afternoon on the beach with a tar spot on the bottom of my foot. I know you can all comprehend the horror of realizing that the showers in the dorms on campus might be cleaner than the sands of South Beach. I haven’t been in its surf or on its sands since.

Maybe this is a reputation we want for Miami: a kind of “peaceful, easy feeling” where our only concern is whether to follow our last pi

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...