Can University Village save the day?

Want to spend the whole year in Miami? Care to live within the boundaries of campus without technically living in the residential colleges? Are you at least junior standing?

If your answers to all of these questions are yes, you could well be one of the first University of Miami students to bask in the glory of University Village, UM’s latest gem, overlooking the peaceful shores of.er.um.Red Road.

What could spell disaster for the school’s newest housing project is the fact that its greatest strength could also be its greatest weakness: location. So, students must be cautiously optimistic when hearing that a representative for JPI (the company operating University Village’s progress), says housing will be competitively priced for the area.

What “area”? University Village sits awkwardly in a proverbial no-man’s land, by what will eventually be the “old” School of Nursing. On the one hand, its within earshot of beautiful, quaint, decades-old Coral Gable houses. On the other, it’s just a stone’s throw from a much less “ritzy” area.

There is no doubt the University will point to its superb security to justify any pricing concerns, but other issues remain. Will the “community assistants” be rule-enforcing chaperones, as is the typical role of a resident assistant? Will the walk across San Amaro be safe at all hours? Will the parking situation become more complicated, with other students being angered by University Village residents taking “their” parking spaces?

UM can’t answer these concerns for now. But if these, or any other problems arise once the village is built, we’ll find the idiot.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...