Tennis gets big boost from transfer

When Luigi D’Agord led Miami Sunset High School’s tennis team to two state championships, he dreamed of playing for the University of Miami. After a standout year playing for the University of Alabama, D’Agord is right where he aspired to be.

“I was happy to get the call from Alabama, but [Miami is] much better,” D’Agord said. “When you say you play for UM, people respect it.”

D’Agord, a junior, posted a 27-18 record with the Crimson Tide and was named SEC athlete of the week twice-the first player to do so in his first week of eligibility. It took third-ranked Lars Poerscheke three sets to beat D’Agord in the quarterfinals of the ITA national tournament.

D’Agord was chosen by the Bahamas, where he lived until he was 12 before moving to Miami, to represent the country in the Davis Cup. Because he was born in Italy, D’Agord was ineligible to compete for the Bahamas but says he was “surprised and honored” to be chosen.

That r

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...