Tennis gets big boost from transfer

When Luigi D’Agord led Miami Sunset High School’s tennis team to two state championships, he dreamed of playing for the University of Miami. After a standout year playing for the University of Alabama, D’Agord is right where he aspired to be.

“I was happy to get the call from Alabama, but [Miami is] much better,” D’Agord said. “When you say you play for UM, people respect it.”

D’Agord, a junior, posted a 27-18 record with the Crimson Tide and was named SEC athlete of the week twice-the first player to do so in his first week of eligibility. It took third-ranked Lars Poerscheke three sets to beat D’Agord in the quarterfinals of the ITA national tournament.

D’Agord was chosen by the Bahamas, where he lived until he was 12 before moving to Miami, to represent the country in the Davis Cup. Because he was born in Italy, D’Agord was ineligible to compete for the Bahamas but says he was “surprised and honored” to be chosen.

That r

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...