Justice Beyer discusses role of Supreme Court

Democracy works in the United States, according to Associate Justice Stephen Breyer of the Supreme Court, because the people have decided to follow the Constitution and rule of law.

“It’s democracy that protects basic human rights, assures a certain degree of equality, divides power and insists upon a rule of law,” Breyer said.

Breyer spoke last Thursday at Gusman Hall as a part of the Robert B. Cole lecture series that began in 1985. The event was unpublicized and only offered by invitation.

One of his central points during Thursday’s event was the role of the high court as outlined by the Constitution.

“We don’t have to take a case,” he said. He added that, though roughly 8,000 cases are brought before the Court each year, only about 80 are heard.

“Much of our job is to decide questions of law-those questions where there is a needed uniform, national interpretation,” he said.

Most of the cases the Court hears, according to Breyer, deal with the constitutionality of state law or inconsistencies between the rulings of various district courts.

“We patrol the boundaries,” he said. “There are difficult decisions on the boundaries. The question we will be asked is not, ‘Is this good policy or bad policy?’ but ‘Does it fall off the rail?'”

Protecting the American democratic system is not only the government’s job, but also relies upon citizens to participate, he explained to the audience of law school alumni, students and faculty.

“I thought the actual discussion was excellent,” John McLuskey, a law school graduate, class of 1981, said. “Justice Breyer really showed himself as a real person, somebody who could be trusted with the Constitution, somebody who really understands the rule of law and how it works.

“I think we all came away feeling as though we were in the presence of someone who really knows the Constitution. I really enjoyed it; I thought it was an excellent presentation,” he said.

Federal and state judges also attended the event.

“I liked the fact that he wanted to make sure everybody know he was a simple human being trying to do a good job,” Senior U.S. Magistrate Judge Peter R. Palermo, of the Southern District of Florida, said. “And he can laugh at himself. If anybody can’t laugh at themselves it’s dangerous. He knows why he’s there and he assumed the responsibility. I’m proud to have him.”

Sergei Kotelnikov, a law student, also was pleased with the manner in which Breyer spoke.

“I thought he took a very unusual approach to produce a first impression on us,” Kotelnikov said. “A judge of that caliber coming to the University of Miami, in itself, is a huge event for the community and the attendance clearly demonstrated that.

“The fact that he approached it in more of a casual manner, so as to not to intimidate or produce the effect of: ‘I’m a big judge coming to a small school, or to a school that is not Harvard or Yale’ shows a good-faith attitude towards these kinds of programs and visits.”

According to Dennis O. Lynch, dean of the School of Law, students from constitutional law classes were randomly selected to attend a class taught by Breyer last Friday.

“It’s a great experience for students to have an open dialogue with a Supreme Court Justice,” Lynch said. “I thought it was a great exchange.”

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...