EDITORIAL – We want more from Momentum

Congratulations, President Shalala. You’ve eclipsed the $1 billion barrier in fundraising as part of the school’s ambitious Momentum campaign, 18 months in advance. Pat yourself on the back; you spearheaded it.

The fruits of your labor? Well, there are tons of very happy medical students (and prospective ones), medical professors and medical researchers. There will also be a beautifully redesigned medical campus. That accounts for about $700 million. 70 percent.

Is it fair? There isn’t much evidence saying it isn’t. Noah Bierman correctly pointed out in his Miami Herald story that “Medical schools usually attract more donations than other areas because former patients and people looking for cures to diseases tend to put their money there.” Yes, it would seem a selfish act to accuse the University of putting too much money toward such a noble cause. But would it be unwarranted to ask why more money won’t be allocated to other areas of need (read: the College of Arts & Sciences and the new Student Activites Center)?

President Shalala, now is your chance to put your money (or, donors’ money) where your mouth is. You said yourself in Bierman’s article: “We’re telling a story about excellence, about going from being very good to extraordinary.” We couldn’t agree more.

But when you say, “We should keep going,” aiming at an additional $250 million in the next 18 months, students on the Coral Gables campus may be left wondering whether “we” means “we, the Miller School of Medicine,” or “we, the University of Miami.”

And everyone knows that a University needs its students’ support to keep the momentum going.

We hope you’re listening.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...