EDITORIAL – We want more from Momentum

Congratulations, President Shalala. You’ve eclipsed the $1 billion barrier in fundraising as part of the school’s ambitious Momentum campaign, 18 months in advance. Pat yourself on the back; you spearheaded it.

The fruits of your labor? Well, there are tons of very happy medical students (and prospective ones), medical professors and medical researchers. There will also be a beautifully redesigned medical campus. That accounts for about $700 million. 70 percent.

Is it fair? There isn’t much evidence saying it isn’t. Noah Bierman correctly pointed out in his Miami Herald story that “Medical schools usually attract more donations than other areas because former patients and people looking for cures to diseases tend to put their money there.” Yes, it would seem a selfish act to accuse the University of putting too much money toward such a noble cause. But would it be unwarranted to ask why more money won’t be allocated to other areas of need (read: the College of Arts & Sciences and the new Student Activites Center)?

President Shalala, now is your chance to put your money (or, donors’ money) where your mouth is. You said yourself in Bierman’s article: “We’re telling a story about excellence, about going from being very good to extraordinary.” We couldn’t agree more.

But when you say, “We should keep going,” aiming at an additional $250 million in the next 18 months, students on the Coral Gables campus may be left wondering whether “we” means “we, the Miller School of Medicine,” or “we, the University of Miami.”

And everyone knows that a University needs its students’ support to keep the momentum going.

We hope you’re listening.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...