THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

I’m not racist. Really, I’m not.

But seriously, at the end of last semester the Breezeway really did look like a Mexican flea market. I then got to thinking about the hate mail I received from various organizations when I called the Breezeway a Mexican flea market last time, and realized, “Hey, there’s no American student organization!” How come? We have organizations for just about every minority: Cubans, Asians, Blacks, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Japanese, Assyrian, Babylonians, Gays, Squirrels, etc. If this is the case, why has an American student association or white student organization not been created?

I know a lot of you are going to raise your arms in bloody fury and say, “Who does he think he is?” I’ll accept that, but at the same time I understand that the second someone talks about race, everyone stops thinking. Let’s run through this thought process.

Would it not be a double standard to allow every “minority” to have their own association or club, yet not allow the “majority” to have one as well? I put that in quotes because purely American students just may very well be a minority on this campus. I then ask: What about making such a club is racist? I’d understand if the club were created with the purpose to propagate some form of racist beliefs of superiority, which by all means should never be tolerated. (And the administration would never allow that.) Just like every organization, it would be an amalgamation of students from around the country with similar interests, hobbies and backgrounds.

Whenever I’ve hypothetically asked this question, people immediately think it’s a racist idea. Yet, I am disappointed they really are not sure why that is the case. Perhaps social conditioning, or the media or even history itself has made us believe that a group of white or American people equals racist behavior.

A group like this would be beneficial, sparking unity in this melting pot that we call the “U,” because like many of the other organizations, they would have mixers and events where several clubs work together. What a great thing that would be to expose everyone to the different cultures and traditions of the other clubs through that club. The result would be a greater understanding of the people we sit with in class.

So, before you go and send your mob with pitch forks and tomatoes at me for proposing such an organization, consider the benefits. In the end, it would inspire unity and help squelch racism on campus, which could trickle down through our community and, when all is said and done, the world.

Jovanni Bello is a senior majoring in computer information systems and creative writing. He can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...