‘Canes lose momentum in loss to Cavaliers

The ‘Canes headed into their 5th ACC game against Virginia coming off of a significant 82-68 win over Boston College.

Yet, the momentum from the success against BC was not carried through the game against Virginia. The ‘Canes fell 77-65 over their conference opponent on Sunday at the Bank United Center.

“We lost to a very good team, a team that is coming into their own,” Head Coach Katie Meier said. “They’re a really dangerous team and I think the ACC better watch out for Virginia.”

Forward Tamara James was held to 15 points by Virginia’s stellar defense. UVA’s players were relentless in their coverage of the ‘Canes primary scorer. In the first half, James only managed to make one basket on 1-for-7 shooting.

“We really respect what a great player [James] is,” Virginia Head Coach Debbie Ryan said. “We had to change things up to keep her from getting the shot.”

Guard Renee Taylor stepped her game up against the Cavaliers, making herself an offensive threat in response to James being held in check. She led the Hurricanes in scoring, racking up 21 points.

Throughout the first half of the game, the game remained a close struggle between the two evenly matched teams. The Cavaliers ended the first half in the lead after a jump shot by guard Brenna McGuire, closing the period on top 30-29.

McGuire, who has only averaged six points per game throughout the season, was the leading scorer for Virginia with 22 points.

“I was due for a game like this,” McGuire said.

The Hurricanes came back for the second half seeming to have regained their stride. They began to take possession of the ball and subsequently the game, building a five-point lead at 42-37.

The edge only lasted a few plays before Virginia’s defensive game began to dominate once again. A turnover by the ‘Canes gave center Siedah Williams the opportunity to make a two-point shot and take the lead.

“In the second half, I think my team got a little bit upset and out of sync,” Meier said. “They could not get their emotions back together to retain the game plan.”

The Hurricanes continued to struggle but were unable to close the gap against their opponent despite the quickness of Taylor and many attempts at the goal by James.

“I don’t think there is a quick little band-aid [for our problem],” Meier said. “We have to work through some things and understanding our roles on the team. We need to focus on making Miami better.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...