Salminen shines at Art Festival

The annual Beaux Arts Festival is more arts and crafts than art, but artist Natalie Salminen shined among the others with her visually and mentally appealing paintings.

After almost nine years of off-and-on-again schooling, Salminen finally graduated college with a degree and a wealth of travel experience, ready to tackle the world. Then, three years ago Salminen says she made the decision to make painting her priority: “I thought about it and then finally decided; all right I’m going to try and be an artist.”

Unpretentious and truly inspired by her works, any observer can tell that Salminen’s work is not in typical fashion for an Arts Festival. She works mostly with oils and acrylics, making sleek designs with bright colors, words and big canvases. Using nature themes, Salminen says most of her inspiration comes from where she lives. “I live in a little trailer in Big Cypress National Perserve, where I paint. Most of the motifs for my paintings come from those surroundings.”

In addition to her appealing works, Salminen had the only booth at the Beaux Art Festival that allowed attendants to step into another realm, tranforming her booth into more of a gallery space.

To own one of Salminen’s works, prices range from $725 to $1,900. Despite the dollar signs the price is worth the product as Salminen’s pieces are timeless and alluring. For more on Natalie Salminen, visit www.nataliesalminen.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...