Elsewhere – Schwarzenegger’s proposal to help rising student fees, cut some funds

Daily Bruin (UCLA)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES-When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled his budget proposals this week for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, many in the University of California community were pleased to find funding to counteract rising student fees.

But others were disheartened to find that it did not include funding for the Academic Preparation Programs or the UC Labor Centers for the second year in a row.

The UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education, formed in 1964, provides resources for students to learn about unions and workers. The UCLA Labor Center in downtown Los Angeles opened in 2002.

The Academic Preparation Programs are community-ou treach programs that prepare students from economically disadvantaged and low-income backgrounds to attend universities, according to the UC’s web site. Programs under this umbrella include UCLA Early Academic Outreach Programs, the Center for Community College Partnerships and the Medical School Outreach program.

Ruth Obel-Jorgensen, organizing director of the UC Student Association, said the organization will hold a lobby conference in February, during which they hope to persuade the Legislature to support the distribution of funds to these institutes.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...