Elsewhere – Schwarzenegger’s proposal to help rising student fees, cut some funds

Daily Bruin (UCLA)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES-When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled his budget proposals this week for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, many in the University of California community were pleased to find funding to counteract rising student fees.

But others were disheartened to find that it did not include funding for the Academic Preparation Programs or the UC Labor Centers for the second year in a row.

The UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education, formed in 1964, provides resources for students to learn about unions and workers. The UCLA Labor Center in downtown Los Angeles opened in 2002.

The Academic Preparation Programs are community-ou treach programs that prepare students from economically disadvantaged and low-income backgrounds to attend universities, according to the UC’s web site. Programs under this umbrella include UCLA Early Academic Outreach Programs, the Center for Community College Partnerships and the Medical School Outreach program.

Ruth Obel-Jorgensen, organizing director of the UC Student Association, said the organization will hold a lobby conference in February, during which they hope to persuade the Legislature to support the distribution of funds to these institutes.