Walking for wages

Students and workers marched from the Michael Yaron intramural fields to the UC Rock Tuesday in Walk for Wages, a protest sponsored by Students Toward a New Democracy (STAND) to push for living wages for UM’s UNICCO workers.

“Poverty cannot wait,” said Jacob Coker-Dukowitz, member of STAND. “The walk was an enormous success in terms of getting our message across for our requests for change.”

These formal requests include that UM direct UNICCO to respect workers’ decision to unionize and that the company provide sufficiently high wages and affordable health benefits for its workers.

Organizers said 60 to 70 people-half students and half workers-marched at the event.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...