Walking for wages

Students and workers marched from the Michael Yaron intramural fields to the UC Rock Tuesday in Walk for Wages, a protest sponsored by Students Toward a New Democracy (STAND) to push for living wages for UM’s UNICCO workers.

“Poverty cannot wait,” said Jacob Coker-Dukowitz, member of STAND. “The walk was an enormous success in terms of getting our message across for our requests for change.”

These formal requests include that UM direct UNICCO to respect workers’ decision to unionize and that the company provide sufficiently high wages and affordable health benefits for its workers.

Organizers said 60 to 70 people-half students and half workers-marched at the event.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...