UMNEWS – Autism research unites UM and Vanderbilt

The Dan Marino Foundation announced a $1.2 million pledge over three years to the University of Miami and Vanderbilt University to develop the Marino Autism Research Institute (MARI).

This generous contribution will fund a “virtual institute,” the first of its kind in the nation, designed specifically to sponsor cross-university collaborative research and community outreach on autism.

Beginning in January 2006, the MARI interdisciplinary team will work in the areas of psychology, neuroscience, medicine and special education to develop cross-site research, clinical and training opportunities. This effort will promote highly innovative science through a unique research and service program involving the University of Miami Center for Autism and Related Disabilities and the TRIAD program of the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development. The collaboration will serve the autism and scientific communities by emphasizing the use of cutting-edge methodologies to identify the causes of autism, and the development of creative, evidence-based treatments and support programs designed to improve the lives of children with autism and their families.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...