Elsewhere – New HIV test gives results in 20 minutes

The California Aggie (UC-Davis)

(U-WIRE)-In the United States today, it is estimated that 25 percent of people who are HIV positive are unaware that they have the virus. OraQuick Advance, a new HIV screening method, seeks to make testing faster, easier and less stressful for those getting tested.

While standard HIV tests take between one and two weeks to provide results, the Center for Disease Control estimates that at least 30 percent of people who are tested do not return to pick up their results. OraQuick can be administered and its results can be given within one clinical visit.

Brian Shaw, coordinator of the HIV program for CommuniCare Health Centers, administers the OraQuick testing at clinics in West Sacramento and Woodland. He said the test is free and available to anyone.

Shaw said that while some patients do not come back for results when given the standard test, the drawback of a faster testing time is that people no longer have the same two-week anxious waiting period. It is a hope of health professionals that these patients will reflect on the actions that brought them to be tested.

OraQuick provides results in 20 minutes, and is the only Food and Drug Administration-approved, rapid-point-of-care test that can detect HIV antibodies in oral fluid, blood or plasma samples.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...