Try Jack’s Mannequin on for size

Andrew McMahon, the frontman of emo-punk band Something Corporate, made headlines this summer for the wrong reasons. News of his cancer diagnosis completely overshadowed the debut of his newest side project, a band by the name of Jack’s Mannequin. McMahon, who leads Jack’s Mannequin with his vocals and piano skills, failed to promote Everything In Transit as he underwent treatment for his leukemia, unfortunately leading to little publicity on the impressive album.

Those familiar with McMahon’s work in Something Corporate (SoCo) might wonder how Jack’s Mannequin differs from his past work. Although his delicious formula of angst-ridden lyrics, growling bass and pounding keyboard melodies drew success in SoCo, Everything In Transit pleases with its softer tone. While it maintains McMahon’s trademark pleading vocals, it’s different-less punk and more reflective of a gradual maturation of sound. Perhaps this is because of the growth of the changing musical scene; pop-punk is dying and piano-rock is in. The piano takes the spotlight in Jack’s Mannequin, which earns major points: McMahon’s piano abilities were arguably the most differentiating factor of SoCo from most bands in its genre.

Close your eyes and listen, and this disc will conjure up images of Southern California, where McMahon’s roots lie. The album is perfect for a drive to and from the beach on a Saturday afternoon, especially songs like the scene-setting single, “The Mixed Tape,” the energetic “Bruised” and the riveting “Dark Blue.” Everything In Transit delivers with its infectious piano riffs and beautiful lyrics that manage to pull at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. One can only wish Andrew McMahon a speedy recovery so that he can continue to produce music of this caliber.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...