Elsewhere – Universities staying in touch with students by cell

DC BUREAU

(U-WIRE)-College students have come to view cell phones over the years as a social need. Before long, they may find them to be an academic necessity as well.

In collaboration with mobile phone technology firms, some universities are looking to make cell phones an extension of their digital information systems, allowing students to keep up-to-date on campus information while on-the-go.

This fall, Montclair State University, the City University of New York and the University of South Florida teamed up with Rave Wireless to develop campus-based networks that let students access anything from class schedules to cafeteria menus directly from their cell phones. Ten additional schools are set to launch systems with the company next semester.

The services allow universities to issue text message alerts to students in the case of class cancellations or campus emergencies. Moreover, student organizations can register with the system to keep their members posted on upcoming events.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...