Elsewhere – Universities staying in touch with students by cell

DC BUREAU

(U-WIRE)-College students have come to view cell phones over the years as a social need. Before long, they may find them to be an academic necessity as well.

In collaboration with mobile phone technology firms, some universities are looking to make cell phones an extension of their digital information systems, allowing students to keep up-to-date on campus information while on-the-go.

This fall, Montclair State University, the City University of New York and the University of South Florida teamed up with Rave Wireless to develop campus-based networks that let students access anything from class schedules to cafeteria menus directly from their cell phones. Ten additional schools are set to launch systems with the company next semester.

The services allow universities to issue text message alerts to students in the case of class cancellations or campus emergencies. Moreover, student organizations can register with the system to keep their members posted on upcoming events.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...