The Starting Five

Guard Renee Taylor 5′ 2” Junior

Taylor, a transfer from Monroe Community College, will have to fill the void from the graduation of Yalonda McCormick. Last season Taylor averaged more than 30 points per game in leading MCC to consecutive NJCAA National Championships.

Guard Katie Hayek 5′ 9” Senior

Used as a three-point and defensive specialist off the bench in previous years, Hayek will be asked to play increased minutes to help keep a young team stable. Hayek was one of only five Hurricanes to play in all 29 games.

Forward Melissa Knight 5′ 11” Redshirt Senior

Knight returns after missing all of last season due to the second ACL injury of her career. She is one of the leaders of this year’s Hurricanes, expected to lock down opponents’ best scorers and provide a consistent offensive threat. She is 10th in school history in three-pointers made.

Forward Tamara James 5′ 10” Senior

James has been the ‘Canes’ attention-getter throughout her four years in Coral Gables. She finished second in the nation in scoring last season and was nominated for every major award this preseason. She is currently third in school history in points per game (20) and could challenge Maria Rivera’s school record of 2,358 career points.

Center Amy Audibert 6′ 3” Junior

After playing sparingly as a freshman, Audibert made seven starts in 18 appearances last season, netting a career-high 12 points against Coppin State. Because teams like Duke and North Carolina boast size to complement its shooters, Audibert, a native of Ontario, will be critical to Miami’s low-post game.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...