Ideas at the forefront

Last fall we had the presidential election, the debate on campus and the Dalai Lama to keep the discourse at UM alive. This spirited conversation became somewhat muted during the spring semester except for a little spike at the end when Spike Lee gave the senior convocation speech.

The current school year could have continued the downward spiral into silent students, but the University is making a true attempt to keep its students, faculty and staff supplied with fodder for intellectually stimulating conversation.

With both Salman Rushdie and Ralph Reed lecturing within a week of one another, UM students have proven that we don’t need nationally televised events to create a great turnout. Now we challenge the University to continue bringing in speakers who will elicit passionate responses-and in some cases, protests.

Whether these speakers are brought in through President Shalala’s influence or with lecture-series money, the price is well worth the experience and opportunity it gives the campus community. From our standpoint, speakers need not be famous names. While this may help elevate UM in the public eye and looks great on brochures sent to prospective students, we would much rather have someone who doesn’t need a written out speech and that is engaging, funny and incisive with their comments over someone who is nationally or internationally recognized.

While this lack of fame may not create quite the same turnout as the Dalai Lama at the packed-to-capacity Convocation Center, the quality of the speech is more important than the venue and attendance of the event.

Speakers represent what a university environment should be about-introducing new ideas and creating debate. Whether or not one agrees with these ideas, having them out there and available to the campus is an integral part of the education that we pay so much for.

If it takes further soliciting of funds from alumni to continue to increase the number of speakers coming to campus then so be it. The reputation of a university increases the worth of a degree, so it will be a worthwhile investment.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...