Ibis yearbook is late but still free

Students don’t seem to mind that the 2005 Ibis yearbook, being passed out in the UC Breezeway, is two months late.

“I didn’t even realize they came out late. I usually just wait for people to hand them to me in the Breezeway,” Brandon Ferguson, senior, said.

Randy Stano, Ibis yearbook’s faculty advisor, offered little information as to the cause of the delay. He claimed “people weren’t on the ball,” but refused to go into detail and point fingers.

According to Stano, all articles and layouts were due on May 28 to be sent to the printer. Upon his return from Prague on Aug. 17, the staff was just finishing the book. This set production back two months.

Lori M. Todd, this year’s editor-in-chief and last year’s associate editor, gave a different explanation of the situation.

“Last year, all of our student volunteers met their deadlines. The book was on schedule to deliver in September,” Todd said.

She blamed the backup on the hurricanes, but also claimed that “it was a combination of management and hurricanes.” She said she supported the good intentions of the yearbook committee.

John Michael Feliz-Lif, Lifestyles editor for the 2005 yearbook, also backed Todd’s explanation, saying the reason for the delay in distribution can be blamed on the hurricanes and shippers.

Last year’s editor-in-chief, Christopher Vasquez, had another version of the situation. The committee apparently encountered issues with its server when it was struck by lightning. It lost all data and had to spend time reconstructing, which set the committee back in its schedule.

According to the contracts signed by all student volunteers and paid members of the yearbook committee, going over the deadline for turning in their section of the book means a reduction in pay. However, there are no such penalties for delays in the actual production of the entire book.

Besides problems with distribution, there were some minor instances involving the content of the 2005 book.

“I was quoted in error on page 131. They have a picture for Joe Paquete with my name,” Chad Kaplan, sophomore, said. “The quote that was used was neither mine nor Joe’s-I have talked with him. The only thing that is mine on that page is my name.”

However, Todd and Vasquez insisted on the Ibis’ commitment to honesty and truthfulness in reporting.

“We don’t tolerate made-up quotes. I know it’s a big joke that they get in the yearbook, but had we known they were fake, they wouldn’t have gone in,” Vasquez said.

Despite difficulties in production and distribution, editors agree that overall, the quality and professionalism of the committee and book are improving.

“Each year, we’re getting more on track. The 2005 edition was distributed earlier than the 2004. The 2006 book is scheduled to arrive during orientation,” Todd said. “The Ibis yearbook is something you’ll hold onto for 10 years.”

Taylor Pashey can be contacted at t.pashley@umiami.edu.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...