Elsewhere – Gender can determine your sense of humor

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE)-Two atoms walk into a bar (why is it always a bar?). One turns to the other and says, “I think I lost an electron!” The other replies, “Are you sure?” “Yes, I’m positive.”

It’s possibly the worst joke ever, but if you’re a man, you took longer to decide that it was unfunny than a woman would. This is one of the findings of a study by Stanford University.

Published in the National Academy of Sciences and led by Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Prof. Alan Reiss, the study was the first to examine how men and women respond to humor differently by monitoring brain responses. Researchers found that women displayed more activity in the parts of the brain involved with language processing and feelings of reward when shown a funny cartoon.

Women showed more activity than men in their prefrontal cortex, which controls language interpretation. Reiss explained that this difference demonstrates that “women may take a more discriminating approach to the features of a cartoon.” While women and men found the same cartoons funny, he noted that women were faster at deciding whether a cartoon was funny. He surmised that women’s greater analytical brain activity contributed to this faster decision-making.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...