Elsewhere – Gender can determine your sense of humor

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE)-Two atoms walk into a bar (why is it always a bar?). One turns to the other and says, “I think I lost an electron!” The other replies, “Are you sure?” “Yes, I’m positive.”

It’s possibly the worst joke ever, but if you’re a man, you took longer to decide that it was unfunny than a woman would. This is one of the findings of a study by Stanford University.

Published in the National Academy of Sciences and led by Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Prof. Alan Reiss, the study was the first to examine how men and women respond to humor differently by monitoring brain responses. Researchers found that women displayed more activity in the parts of the brain involved with language processing and feelings of reward when shown a funny cartoon.

Women showed more activity than men in their prefrontal cortex, which controls language interpretation. Reiss explained that this difference demonstrates that “women may take a more discriminating approach to the features of a cartoon.” While women and men found the same cartoons funny, he noted that women were faster at deciding whether a cartoon was funny. He surmised that women’s greater analytical brain activity contributed to this faster decision-making.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...