LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

REED SPEECH CAUSES STIR

Paying homage to the value of open-mindedness and tolerance, President Shalala extended a speaking invitation to Ralph Reed last semester during the presidential debate. Reed, a conservative and first executive director of the Christian Coalition, accepted the offer and spoke at Storer Auditorium last Thursday, Nov. 10. His topic was “Values and Politics in America.” Liberal groups on campus discovered this proposed exercise in free speech, and I think you can see where this is going.

Liberal groups sent out an e-mail requesting PC stormtroopers to stage a “walk-out” in the middle of the speech-no one was to be allowed to see the event without disruption. Yet despite this, only the regular 15 or so hardcore leftists decided to show up an hour early to an empty room, in order to obtain prime seats.

About midway through Reed’s speech (ironically a speech about how we need to listen to opposing viewpoints respectfully), these same leftists stood up and left, but not without making loud comments to further ruin everyone’s enjoyment of the lecture.

Pete Maki, student government president, had the honor of making closing remarks, and one in particular stuck with me. He noted that it is ironic that in the year following the Presidential Debate on campus -the theme of which was “Diversity and Democracy in America”-certain people do not tolerate opposing viewpoints. I would push this further-certain people not only do not tolerate opposing viewpoints, but certain people do their darnedest to make sure no one else gets to listen, either.

I can assure you that my group, Advocates for Conservative Thought, will never give a display of such blatant disrespect for opposing viewpoints and will not disrupt any liberal event on campus. If we disagree, we will remain outside the event or ask pointed questions in the event. And if we do remain outside, we will not come back in after protesting to sample the cheesecake. Oh yes, the liberals came back for the food, because they have principle.

Andrew Kloster

President, Advocates for Conservative Thought

LAKE LESSONS

I’m sure that the students who allegedly went swimming in the lake following the Virginia Tech game are upset and angry that they face possible disciplinary action from the University. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind them that they are in fact lucky that nothing much worse occurred that night.

Ironically, the alleged infraction did in fact take place exactly four years since my friend and fraternity brother Chad Meredith lost his life in a tragic accident. It’s a shame that despite what happened to Chad, and despite the warning signs posted around the lake, students are still making such poor decisions. Every University of Miami student should understand that each decision they make could in fact have consequences that they don’t want to face. I’m glad that none of the students involved in the alleged incident were hurt.

I’d like to thank the Resident Coordinator who reported the alleged infraction and The Hurricane for reminding everyone to learn from the unfortunate lesson that Chad taught us.

Timothy Williamson

AlumnusREED SPEECH CAUSES STIR

Andrew Kloster

LAKE LESSONS

Timothy Williamson

AlumnusREED SPEECH CAUSES STIR

Andrew Kloster

LAKE LESSONS

Timothy Williamson

Alumnus