Elsewhere – House debates bill to reduce student funding

The Daily Cardinal (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE)-The U.S. House of Representatives pushed back a vote on a bill Thursday that includes cuts to financial aid for college students over the next five years. If passed, the measure would cut approximately $50 billion from the federal budget, including $14.5 billion in student financial aid cuts.

Proponents of the bill say that it would ease the federal budget deficit as Congress prepares for a new round of tax cuts. The House plan decreases spending on public programs by $54 billion while setting the stage for about $70 billion worth of tax breaks.

The cuts in financial aid to college students will mostly affect federal student loan programs. According to the Wisconsin zPublic Interest Research Group, the typical student borrower with $17,500 in debt will have to pay an additional $5,800 if the new cuts are put in place.

The vote was delayed as House Republican leaders tried to garner more votes from wavering GOP members.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...