Elsewhere – Supreme Court nominee’s missing thesis recovered at Princeton

The Daily Princetonian (Princeton)

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J.-The senior thesis of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito ’72, which along with some 300 others was lost during the 1970s, resurfaced Monday when Alito’s thesis advisor provided a copy to the University.

Walter Murphy, the McCormick Professor in Jurisprudence Emeritus, sent a copy of the thesis to the University’s Mudd Manuscript Library.

While much of the document deals with how the court came to be and the history of Italy’s justices, one chapter focuses specifically on the court’s work on questions of church and state.

“I chose to investigate the Court’s work in this area because it is important, because it has probably been the most controversial, and because it is the area in which the clash of interest groups can be observed most clearly,” Alito wrote.

Alito’s ruling in the 1991 case Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which challenged Pennsylvania’s requirement that women seeking abortions notify their husbands, has become a focal point in the debate.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...