Report Card

Offense: A-

Kudos to Offensive Coordinator Dan Werner for his game plan of pounding the ball up the middle with Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones, allowing Kyle Wright to make good play-action throws. Werner’s formula allowed the offense to control the clock against the second-best defense in the country.

Quarterbacks: A-

Simply put, Wright took a licking and kept on ticking. After a blatant cheap shot from Darryl Tapp, Wright came back and made some key throws, including a touchdown to Darnell Jenkins. His interception late in the game prevents me from giving him a solid A.

Running Backs: A

You have to feel bad for Tyrone Moss, who was having an unbelievable season until his knee injury Saturday night. Charlie Jones stepped in for Moss and did a great job. Expect Jones to be productive as the new starting tailback for the rest of the year.

Wide Receivers: B

Darnell Jenkins only makes about 15 catches a year, but it seems like at least half of those receptions come on key third down plays, including a pair of critical grabs against Virginia Tech.

Offensive Line: A

Maligned for most of the season, especially after the Florida State game, the o-line had an all-around stellar effort, opening holes up front for Jones to plow through and giving Wright the protection he needed on passing downs. It’s impossible not to notice the improvement of Anthony Wollschlager at center.

Defense: A+

I would love to see this unit match up against USC or Texas. I do not care how great Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Vince Young are; I still do not see their teams putting up many points against the Hurricanes.

Defensive Line: A+

The first unit was amazing. I have never seen Orien Harris so inspired. The second line was better than most teams’ starting fronts, with Kareem Brown, Calais Campbell and Javon Nanton leading the charge.

Linebackers: A+

Rocky McIntosh has to be a first-round pick after his performance in Blacksburg. He carried a unit that struggled at times last year. When Willie Williams got a chance to take some snaps, he showed that he will be able to assume McIntosh’s role as unit leader next year.

Secondary: A+

Speaking of players who should be first round picks, Brandon Meriweather and Kelly Jennings were amazing on Saturday. Meriweather was used as an extra blitzer on occasion, and Jennings was dominant in coverage, finishing with two interceptions.

Special Teams: A

Devin Hester was shaken up in the win, which hopefully was not too serious. Jon Peattie converted his two field goal attempts, and Brian Monroe did a fine job of helping Miami control field position.

Coaching: A+

There should be no more criticism of the following individuals: Art Kehoe, Dan Werner, Randy Shannon and most importantly, Larry Coker.

Compiled By Eric Kalis

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...