UMNEWS – Cosford Cinema rededication includes improvements and special showings

The University of Miami School of Communication rededicated the Bill Cosford Cinema, a state-of-the-art theater used for instructional and public exhibition programs on the University’s campus.

The Cinema was named after Bill Cosford 10 years ago. Cosford was a popular adjunct professor in the School of Communication’s motion pictures program. He also served as film critic and arts writer for the Miami Herald from 1973 until his death from pneumonia in 1994 at age 47. He championed for the Beaumont Cinema, which was the theater’s former name, operating as a fully operational art film house for the public. Cosford felt that the cinema was something the area desperately needed.

In time for the rededication, the Cosford Cinema installed a new sound system, Dolby Surround Sound 5.1 digital, and a new Norelco projector that allows projection of both 35 mm and 70 mm films.

The rededication will continue with free Sunday 3 p.m. screenings of the films Cosford loved. These include Jurassic Park on Nov. 6, Schindler’s List on Nov. 13, Blade Runner (Director’s Cut) on Nov. 20 and Howard’s End on Nov. 27.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...