Miami scores 27 unanswered to beat North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes used a second half turnaround to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels last Saturday 34-16.

With the Hurricanes trailing 16-7 at halftime, Miami’s defense took over in the second half and only allowed 18 yards of offense.

On a day that saw only 30,618 fans at the Orange Bowl because of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma and Miami wearing 1967 replica uniforms, Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss had a career day. Moss rushed for 195 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came in the second half when Miami outscored UNC 27-0.

After UNC went up 7-0 on its first drive of the afternoon, Miami responded with an 80-yard drive to tie the score. Then, in one of the wackier plays in recent memory, the ball was snapped by Anthony Wollschlager over the head of Miami quarterback Kyle Wright and settled near the goal line, where offensive lineman Eric Winston, who battled flu-like symptoms all game long, kicked the ball through the back of the end-zone for a safety.

But Miami took the lead for good in the second half when Quadtrine Hill blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Wright didn’t have his best game as a Hurricane, as he finished with 111 yards and three interceptions on a breezy day that made passing very difficult. The gusts of wind were so strong in the upper deck that fire officials moved all fans to the lower deck of the stadium, just as a precaution.

UNC was led by running back Ronnie McGill, who finished with 66 yards, most of them in the first half; he also scored both Tar Heels touchdowns on the day.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...