Miami scores 27 unanswered to beat North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes used a second half turnaround to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels last Saturday 34-16.

With the Hurricanes trailing 16-7 at halftime, Miami’s defense took over in the second half and only allowed 18 yards of offense.

On a day that saw only 30,618 fans at the Orange Bowl because of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma and Miami wearing 1967 replica uniforms, Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss had a career day. Moss rushed for 195 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came in the second half when Miami outscored UNC 27-0.

After UNC went up 7-0 on its first drive of the afternoon, Miami responded with an 80-yard drive to tie the score. Then, in one of the wackier plays in recent memory, the ball was snapped by Anthony Wollschlager over the head of Miami quarterback Kyle Wright and settled near the goal line, where offensive lineman Eric Winston, who battled flu-like symptoms all game long, kicked the ball through the back of the end-zone for a safety.

But Miami took the lead for good in the second half when Quadtrine Hill blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Wright didn’t have his best game as a Hurricane, as he finished with 111 yards and three interceptions on a breezy day that made passing very difficult. The gusts of wind were so strong in the upper deck that fire officials moved all fans to the lower deck of the stadium, just as a precaution.

UNC was led by running back Ronnie McGill, who finished with 66 yards, most of them in the first half; he also scored both Tar Heels touchdowns on the day.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...