Wilma wipes out Ga. Tech football game

The football team has yet to be tested since its double-overtime victory over Clemson Sept. 17. The Hurricanes will have to wait another week for an ACC challenge, as Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech was postponed on Wednesday because of Hurricane Wilma’s projected path.

ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford said the game will be rescheduled to Saturday, Nov. 19. The game at Wake Forest originally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17, was also rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12.

“After discussions with Paul Dee and Dave Braine, we feel that the responsible action is to postpone the Georgia Tech at Miami football game,” Swofford said. “The projected course of Hurricane Wilma shows that if it stays on its current path, it will have a direct affect on the safety of numerous student-athletes, institutional personnel, fans and Florida residents. Our top priority is the issue of public safety for everyone and we would not want a college football game to interfere with the preparation work to be done by the public safety and emergency personnel. ”

The swimming and diving team’s meet at Florida International University on Saturday was also postponed and had not been rescheduled as of Wednesday at press time.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...