On Center Stage

There’s a reason for the popularity of movies like Center Stage. And any viewer can tell you it’s definitely not the quality of the acting but the beauty of the dance.

Ballet is hypnotic-the narrative of a ballet is expounded by the lithe turning of the body, the passion expressed in the body’s movement. So it is with Jimmy Gamonet De Los Heros’ Ballet Gamonet that the art of ballet seems to be astounding. It is not always perfect, nor is every step in perfect synchronicity, but the Ballet Gamonet exudes overall beauty in performance.

In 2005, Ballet Gamonet and the Maximum Dance Company merged. Program I is its debut performance, the first of four this season.

Discussing the selection of the Gusman Performing Arts Center to be its new home, Gamonet expressed his sentiment on coming home: “To say that I am thrilled to be here in Miami-my home-would be an understatement.” Gamonet describes the Gusman as the “Renaissance Downtown,” the perfect place for the performance of the ballet.

While Gamonet Ballet is self-described as a contemporary dance-” a unique style of neo-classical ballet with a contemporary edge”-it doesn’t defy convention; rather, like all good artists, Gamonet seems to build upon his predecessors, extrapolating what he can, then creating something new and challenging.

The play opens with the dancers silhouetted before a lime green background. Their bodies are amazing. It’s edgy. It’s modern. It makes you want to take ballet lessons.

The second is Coeur de Basque, a love story. Combining elements of flamenco, gypsy folk dance and ballet-it is exquisite. It displays what the human body can do and the complement of the male and female form.

Just two lone dancers emerge for the third act: Purple Bend I. Anguish, sorrow and love is all played out as their bodies merge and diverge, en Pointe. Their relationship is ambiguous, but it is any couple, their relationship writhe with an emotional intensity that only love can bring.

The ballet ends with humor as a city slicker struggles to respect the “gaucho hat” adorned countrymen. A hero’s story, he falls in love with the beautiful La China. We see him plummet and then rise again; it all culminating in a grand finale of a large number of dancers on stage, the music intensifying, the dance surging…

The curtain closes on Miami’s ballet stage. A city of what is considered by outsiders a floundering culture has some great curtain openers.

Melanie Klesse can be contacted at m.klesse@umiami.edu.

The 2005-2006 Performance:

Miami Dade County Performances

Gusman Center for The Performing Arts

174 East Flagler Street, Downtown Miami

Program II – Jan. 27 to 28, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Program III – Feb. 24 to 25, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Program IV – May 12 to 13, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Discounts are available for student tickets.

Broward County Performance

Bailey Concert Hall

3501 SW Davie Road, Ft. Lauderdale

Program I – Oct. 15 at 8 p.m. & 16 at 3 p.m., 2005

Program II – Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. & 13 at 3 p.m., 2005

Program III – Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. & 12 at 3 p.m., 2006

Program IV – May 20 at 8 p.m. & 21 at 3 p.m., 2006

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...