From the vice president for student affairs

Dear Student:

As Hurricane Wilma approaches, I wanted to take the opportunity to assure you that the University is doing everything it can to be prepared if the storm comes through campus and the surrounding community. The University of Miami prides itself on its ability to provide a safe environment and make the best decisions for student safety.

Once the University determines the threat of the storm to be eminent, the Residential College and the apartment staff will request that all students remain indoors until otherwise notified. There are many potential hazards outside during a storm and we have to act to ensure the safety of all students. Often, the nature of a storm can change dramatically in a short period of time, placing students who leave during the storm in unexpected, high-risk circumstances. President Shalala and I personally walk the campus after a storm to make sure that the environment is safe and to avoid placing any student in a potentially dangerous situation. Regardless of your age, I also ask that all campus residents refrain from the use of alcohol during the storm-it is essential that my staff has the ability to obtain your full cooperation immediately should a fast response be needed. Please do not hesitate to contact your Residential College staff or the Rumor Control Hotline (305-284-5151) with any questions regarding Hurricane procedures.

I am proud of the caliber of students on this campus-their maturity, their patience and their leadership. I know that you will once again rise to the occasion and do your part to help keep yourself and your fellow students safe.

Go ‘Canes!

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Whitely

Vice President for Student Affairs

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...