Elsewhere – U. New Mexico bans the Facebook

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-The University of New Mexico both confused and disappointed many of its 26,000 students last week with the decision to ban access to Facebook.com on its campus network. UNM officials said the ban may be revoked if some of their concerns are addressed, specifically questions about the Web site’s level of security.

“People talk about it and stuff-I mean it’s pretty much banned,” UNM sophomore Ashley Hooper said. “We can’t look at it on campus, like in the libraries or anything.”

Facebook spokesperson Chris Hughes said his company wrote to university officials to discuss their concerns and once again make the Web site available on campus, although as of Sunday morning Hughes said the university had yet to respond.

Catherine Luther, spokesperson for the university’s Computer and Information Resources and Technology department, said the initial blockage came as a result of spam affecting its network offices.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...