Elsewhere – U. New Mexico bans the Facebook

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-The University of New Mexico both confused and disappointed many of its 26,000 students last week with the decision to ban access to Facebook.com on its campus network. UNM officials said the ban may be revoked if some of their concerns are addressed, specifically questions about the Web site’s level of security.

“People talk about it and stuff-I mean it’s pretty much banned,” UNM sophomore Ashley Hooper said. “We can’t look at it on campus, like in the libraries or anything.”

Facebook spokesperson Chris Hughes said his company wrote to university officials to discuss their concerns and once again make the Web site available on campus, although as of Sunday morning Hughes said the university had yet to respond.

Catherine Luther, spokesperson for the university’s Computer and Information Resources and Technology department, said the initial blockage came as a result of spam affecting its network offices.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...