Students remember those lost to hate crimes

Students gathered at SpectrUM’s anti-hate candlelight vigil Wednesday night at the Rock as part of the organization’s Coming Out Week activities meant to commemorate all those who have lost their lives to hate crimes.

A hate crime is defined as an aggressive or violent act taken against a person on the basis of his or her religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or nationality. While the vigil was organized by SpectrUM, its aim was to address hatred as it applies to various groups of people and not just the gay community.

The vigil also meant to unite students from different cultural, social and political backgrounds. Students in attendance included members of vastly different campus groups such as SpectrUM, Best Buddies, United Black Students, Greenpeace and Sigma Phi Epsilon, among many others.

Each student was given a white rose, a candle and a nametag bearing the name of a victim of a violent hate crime. Students then listened to a diverse panel of speakers discuss the issues of hatred and bigotry.

In her speech to the crowd, Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, recalled a UM far different from the one students know today.

“Fifteen years ago there wasn’t a group like SpectrUM,” Whitely said. “It started underground because people were scared something would happen to them on campus.”

The vigil also marked the seventh anniversary of the death of Mathew Shepard, a 21-year-old University of Wyoming student who was brutally beaten and left for dead on account of his sexual orientation. News of Shepard’s death rocked the nation, bringing the ugly truth about hate crimes into every living room in America.

“We must never forget what happened to Matthew Shepard as we work towards creating an environment where people can embrace and respect each others’ differences,” Whitely said.

Also in attendance at the vigil was Best Buddies president Anya Edun, whose organization works to promote one-on-one relationships with individuals with intellectual disabilities. Edun pointed out the fact that the disabled also suffer the effects of discrimination and prejudice because they are in a wheelchair, or have Down syndrome or other disabilities that label them as not being “normal.”

“I’m grateful for an event like this because so often disabled people are overlooked when you think about prejudice and discrimination,” Edun said.

In addition to speaking out against hatred and its destructive effects, the vigil also empowered students to believe in their abilities to make changes in the world by doing their part to eliminate it.

“I thought it was a very good vigil,” John Constantinide, junior, said. “Even though it’s yearly and repeats the same theme, it’s good to remind people of what’s going on because if they’re not, it brings about ignorance, which in turn brings about disregard.”

Marina Nazir can be contacted at m.nazir@umiami.edu.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...