Elsewhere – USC study indicates liars’ brains made up differently

(U-WIRE)-Ever wonder why some people are just so much better at lying? A new University of Southern California study suggests that the brains of some people are simply more wired for deception.

In the first study of its kind, researchers have found that there are structural abnormalities in the brains of people who habitually lie, cheat and manipulate others.

Pathological liars have more white matter and less gray matter in the prefrontal cortex of their brains. White matter speeds neural connectivity between brain cells, enabling quick and complex thinking, while gray matter-the brain cells that are connected by white matter-plays a role in mediating inhibitions.

The results showed that liars had a 22 percent increase in prefrontal white matter and a 14.2 percent decrease in gray matter compared to the control group. What these findings essentially suggest is that liars have a better-adapted brain for, well, lying.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...