‘Canes storm Owls early

Unfortunately for Miami fans, the Hurricanes do not play Temple every week.

Despite failing to score a point after the 11:51 mark of the second quarter, the Hurricanes cruised to an easy 34-3 victory over the Owls on Saturday in front of 23,129 fans at the Lincoln Financial Center.

On Miami’s second play from scrimmage, wide receiver Sinorice Moss took a swing pass from Kyle Wright 92 yards for a touchdown and 7-0 lead. The play was the second-longest touchdown pass in school history to Gino Torretta’s 99-yard strike to Horace Copeland against Arkansas in 1991. Moss finished with three catches for 122 yards.

“It was a run play and Kyle checked off. He gave me a hand signal,” Moss told the Associated Press. “The cornerback was playing off. It was exciting.”

Moss’ score propelled the ‘Canes to 27 first-quarter points, crushing the hopes of a winless Temple team, which desperately needed a hot start.

In only a quarter-and-a-half of work, Wright was nearly perfect, completing 9-of-10 passes for 196 yards and four touchdowns.

“We executed what we wanted to do,” Wright told the AP. “It was definitely a successful day for the offense.”

Kirby Freeman went 7-for-11 for 121 yards in mop-up duty but could not lead the second unit into the end zone.

UM Head Coach Larry Coker told the AP that the team is thrilled with its early performance, but the rest of the game left much to be desired.

“We were very efficient with our ones,” Coker said. “I was happy with that. The game was under control in the first quarter. I would’ve liked to finish better. We played a lot with our second and third team. When they get an opportunity, they have to perform. They’re one play away from being starters. It wasn’t a real joyous dressing room.”

Shortly after the Moss touchdown, Miami retained possession at Temple’s 34-yard line, setting up a 21-yard Wright touchdown pass to tight end Greg Olsen, who had three receptions for 38 yards. Jon Peattie missed the extra point attempt, his first unsuccessful PAT as a Hurricane.

Less than three minutes later, Devin Hester returned a punt 48 yards for a touchdown, his first of the season and fourth of his career, to put UM on top 20-0.

“He’s really an exciting player,”Coker said. “He’s gaining more confidence every week. He’s a special talent.”

Olsen finished the first quarter flurry with an eight-yard touchdown catch.

Miami’s second possession of the second quarter lasted only four plays and 36 seconds, as Wright completed passes to Moss and Akieem Jolla to set up a 20-yard Ryan Moore touchdown reception.

Temple got on the board at the end of the first half with a 40-yard Ryan Lux field goal. The Owls’ loss comes days after Head Coach Bobby Wallace announced his plans to resign at the end of the season.

The Hurricanes return to action Saturday to take on Atlantic Coast Conference foe Georgia Tech at the Orange Bowl.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...