Briefs – SWIMMING AND DIVING * CROSS-COUNTRY

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami swimming and diving team fell to in-state rival Florida Atlantic, 160-129, in its season opener Saturday afternoon at the FAU pool.

The Hurricanes (0-1) took first and second in both the one and three meter diving events. Sophomore Jenna Dreyer placed first on the one-meter with a score 309.43 while senior Melanie Rinaldi finished in second with a score of 272.86. Dreyer once again finished on top in the three meter with a score of 244.95. Junior Heather Bounds took second with a score of 229.58.

Junior Ashley Knapp and freshman Christine Zwiegers were the only other Hurricanes to record first place finishes.

The Hurricanes return to action next Saturday with an 11:00 a.m. dual-meet against cross-town rival Florida International.

CROSS-COUNTRY

Senior Melanie Schultz completed the six kilometer course in a career-best time of 21:29.4 to finish 25th at the Chile Pepper Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. Schultz has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher in the last 15 races she has competed in over the last three seasons.

Miami recorded 639 points to finish 24th out of 38 teams. Oklahoma State (64 points) won the team title.

The Chile Pepper Invitational is the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the ACC Cross Country Championships, Oct. 31, in Tallahassee, Fla.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...