22 YEARS AGO AT UM

In 1983, the then 15th-ranked Hurricanes blew out the Duke Blue Devils 56-17 in Durham, N.C., in quarterback Bernie Kosar’s freshman year:

To the average TV viewer, the game may have seemed like a typical college romp, but for the Hurricanes it was history.

The Hurricanes set a new record for total offense with a 613-yard game. The previous record of 285 yards was set back in 1941 under Coach Jack Harding when the Hurricanes shut out Elon, 38-0, in their season opener.

Miami had its highest scoring game since the 1967 58-0 romping of Pittsburgh.

Saturday’s game was the first game ever to be played under lights, albeit temporary, at Wallace Wade Stadium. All of Duke’s games are played in the early afternoon; this was the first home game they’ve played as late as 4 p.m. ABC-TV, which asked Duke to move game time from 1:30, supplied the lights.

The 56-17 romping began early in the first quarter, when quarterback Bernie Kosar made the first touchdown on a two-yard yard sneak.

Minutes later, on Miami’s next offensive series, Kosar threw a 73-yard bomb to Ed Brown for the second touchdown of the game and Kosar’s longest pass completion of his young career.

-The Hurricane, Oct. 4, 1983

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...