22 YEARS AGO AT UM

In 1983, the then 15th-ranked Hurricanes blew out the Duke Blue Devils 56-17 in Durham, N.C., in quarterback Bernie Kosar’s freshman year:

To the average TV viewer, the game may have seemed like a typical college romp, but for the Hurricanes it was history.

The Hurricanes set a new record for total offense with a 613-yard game. The previous record of 285 yards was set back in 1941 under Coach Jack Harding when the Hurricanes shut out Elon, 38-0, in their season opener.

Miami had its highest scoring game since the 1967 58-0 romping of Pittsburgh.

Saturday’s game was the first game ever to be played under lights, albeit temporary, at Wallace Wade Stadium. All of Duke’s games are played in the early afternoon; this was the first home game they’ve played as late as 4 p.m. ABC-TV, which asked Duke to move game time from 1:30, supplied the lights.

The 56-17 romping began early in the first quarter, when quarterback Bernie Kosar made the first touchdown on a two-yard yard sneak.

Minutes later, on Miami’s next offensive series, Kosar threw a 73-yard bomb to Ed Brown for the second touchdown of the game and Kosar’s longest pass completion of his young career.

-The Hurricane, Oct. 4, 1983

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...