Coach’s Corner

Lovon Ponder has come out of nowhere to become one of the better defensive backs on the team. Do you see him staying there all year?

No doubt about it. He’s going to play a lot this year. If guys get an opportunity and perform well, then it tells you something. We need to stay with a guy like that.

With midterms around the corner, how does the coaching staff help ease the worry that some players may have?

I think the main thing is that we work practice around their schedules and we never take them out of exams or study sessions to be involved in football practice. When they have those things, that’s what comes first. And I’m sincere when I say that. That’s not just coach’s talk.

Did Saturday’s performance make you frustrated?

Yeah, a little bit because I really felt like we could have put the game away. In some ways we did put the game away in the first quarter. But I really felt like we should have and could have done more. The game wasn’t in jeopardy, but I knew we weren’t doing things we were capable of doing.

Who is your pick to win the World Series?

Wow. That’s a tough call right there. How about the Cardinals?

Send any questions for Coach Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...