ACT displays conservative disregard

The Wednesday before last, the Advocates of Conservative Thought tried once again to stir up controversy on campus by assuming the role of the oppressed.

So oppressed are these conservatives that they only have control of three branches of the federal government. So oppressed are they that they decided to have a special day to “come out” as conservative.

The term “coming out” was popularized to signify public revelation of one’s sexuality or gender identity. By co-opting this term for their event, these advocates for conservatism took a cheap shot at the on-campus GLBT community by somehow suggesting that National Coming Out Day, a day that celebrates and encourages one of the most important decisions in a GLBT person’s life, is nothing more than an unnecessary public display of one’s sexual identity.

Members of ACT feel discriminated against for what they believe. We, on the other hand, face discrimination for who we are.

Conservatives are an important part of our diverse campus community, but apparently the Advocates of Conservative Thought have yet to realize that a fundamental component to peaceful integration within this community is respect.

Chris Fisher can be contacted at c.fisher2@umiami.edu.

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...