UMNEWS – Greek community joins together to donate to charity

Last week, Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity held its annual philanthropy, SAM Slam, in an effort to raise money for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation.

SAM Slam, originally founded in 2002, is a competition between sororities in which they participate in a variety of events, such as Penny Wars, Brother’s Auction, Man Hunt and a closing volleyball tournament. This year, Sigma Alpha Mu added the first annual Miss SAM Slam Pageant Competition, where a representative from each participating organization was given the chance to showcase their talents and love for this philanthropic cause. There was an unprecedented level of support from the sororities this year, where every sorority on campus competed all week long.

This year, SAM Slam raised more than $7,600, which was almost double the donations in the previous four years.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...