UMNEWS – Alumni reminisce campus newspaper days

Fifty years after graduating from the University of Miami, student publications alumni have published a commemorative issue of The Miami Hurricane.

The 16-page issue was completely written, edited and designed by alumni in a format reminiscent of the 1955 version. Although all editorial matter is new, photographs and editorial cartoons were first published 50 years ago.

All are veteran editors and photographers of All-America winning university publications: The Hurricane, the Ibis yearbook and the now historic Tempo magazine.

John Softness, who was 1955 Hurricane editor-in-chief, returned to that position for the current issue. He is a former public relations executive and most recently speechwriter for ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

The edition was the brainstorm of Allan and Patti Herbert, active University philanthropists who own the Richmond Hotel in South Beach. He is a retired senior executive of Teledyne, Inc. They served as publisher and art director of this issue.

The edition is published to celebrate this year’s Homecoming, Oct. 27 to 30. It is being mailed to more than 10,000 alumni. Copies can be picked up at the Alumni office on the University campus.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...